This is an excerpt of my full CV, which can be viewed here:
Present Position – Education – Academic Qualifications – Postdoctoral Fellowships and Professorships – Publications – Talks and Seminars – Thesis Supervising and Tutoring – Member of Committees and Commissions of Trust – Further Scientific and Popularizing Activities – Languages – Short Stays at International Centres – Other Professional Activities – Interests
Venice (Italy), September 10th, 1977
Senior Scientist (Científico Titular; equivalent to tenured rank of Associate Professor), Institute for Matter Structure, CSIC, Madrid, Spain.
- Laurea (Degree+Master) in Physics, Padua University, Italy, June 7th 2001. Title: Inflation and non-Gaussian fluctuations in the Cosmic Microwave Background. Advisor: Prof. Sabino Matarrese.
- PhD Degree in Physics, Parma University, Italy, March 2nd, 2005. Title: Braneworld cosmology and noncommutative inflation. Advisor: Prof. Luca Griguolo. Homologation at the Complutense University of Madrid, Spain, 2013.
- Undergraduate student in Psychology, UNED, Madrid, Spain.
- Professeur des universités [Full Professor] (n. PR-2011-29-11129217870) in section 29 “Constituants élémentaires” [Fundamental constituents] of the National Council of Universities (Conseil National des Universités, CNU), France, February 4th, 2011.
- National Scientific Qualification as Professore di prima fascia [Full Professor] (n. 16578) in sector 02/A2 “Fisica teorica delle interazioni fondamentali” [Theoretical physics of fundamental interactions] of the Ministry of Education and Research, Italy, November 28th, 2013.
- I3 Certificate (Programa de Incentivación de la Incorporación e Intensificación de la Actividad Investigadora), National Agency for Research (Agencia Estatal de Investigación), Spain, December 15th, 2016.
- 2005: JSPS Fellowship, Gunma National College of Technology, Gunma, Japan.
- 2005-2006: Angelo della Riccia Fellowship, Department of Physics and Astronomy, University of Sussex, Brighton, UK.
- 2006-2008: Marie Curie Intra-European Fellowship, Department of Physics and Astronomy, University of Sussex, Brighton, UK.
- 2008-2009: Postdoctoral fellow, Institute for Gravitation and the Cosmos, Penn State University, PA.
- 2009-2011: Advanced Postdoc Fellowship (Senior Researcher), Max Planck Institute for Gravitational Physics (Albert Einstein Institute), Golm (Potsdam), Germany.
- 2011-2012: Assistant Professor, Max Planck Institute for Gravitational Physics (Albert Einstein Institute), Golm (Potsdam), Germany.
- 2012-2017: Ramón y Cajal tenure-track fellow, IEM-CSIC, Madrid, Spain.
Since July 2018: Member of the LISA Consortium (Cosmology Working Group and Fundamental Physics Working Group).
I published two books with Springer and about 95 papers in international journals in physics (such as Phys. Rev. Lett., Phys. Rev. D, JHEP, JCAP, Nucl. Phys. B, Class. Quantum Grav.) and mathematical physics (Adv. Theor. Math. Phys., J. Math. Phys., Phys. Rev. E, SIGMA, J. Phys. A). Bibliometric data can be found in the inspirehep.net database.
I gave 25 invited presentations as plenary speaker, 28 presentations as registered speaker and 53 invited seminars at international institutions in France, Germany, Greece, Italy, Netherlands, Portugal, Spain, Russia, UK, USA, Canada, Brazil, India, China, Japan and Korea. For details, see the full CV.
See Teaching Activity and Teaching Philosophy in my Teaching Statement.
- 1995-2001: Scientific coordinator of Guido Ruggieri Observatory, Venice, Italy (coordination of the observational programme, director of the planetarium, organization of public events).
- 2006-2008: Organization of cycles of internal seminars of cosmology and theoretical physics, Department of Physics and Astronomy, University of Sussex, UK.
- Local organizer of the Workshop on Loop Quantum Cosmology, Penn State University, PA, October 23-25, 2008.
- 2008-2011, Albert Einstein Institute, Golm, Germany: a) Coordinator of the visiting program of the research group. b) Member of panels selecting PhD students and postdocs. c) Participation in the drafting of technical and activity reports of the group activities for official evaluation by the committee “Fachbeirat” (Max-Planck-Gesellschaft).
- Member of the scientific committee and local organizer of the Workshop on Spacetime as a Statistical System, Albert Einstein Institute, Golm, Germany, July 21-23, 2010.
- Member of the scientific committee, course director and organizer of the Sixth Aegean Summer School: Quantum Gravity and Quantum Cosmology, Chora, Greece, September 19-24, 2011.
- Course director and organizer of the X and XI Curso de Introducción a la Investigación del Instituto de Estructura de la Materia (X and XI Introductory Course on Research at the IEM), CSIC, Madrid, Spain, March 20-22, 2013 and April 9-11, 2014. Course for 30 advanced undergraduate students presenting the research at the IEM through talks by (and interviews with) the scientific staff and visits to the laboratories.
- Initiator and main organizer of the 1st i-Link Workshop Macro-from-Micro: Quantum Gravity and Cosmology, IEM-CSIC, Madrid, Spain, June 24-27, 2013. And of the 2nd i-Link Workshop Macro-from-Micro: Quantum Gravity and Cosmology, IEM-CSIC, Madrid, Spain, September 15-18, 2014.
- Panel member for PhD dissertation thesis “Cosmología cuántica inhomogénea: teoría cuántica de campos y gravedad de lazos” by D. Martín de Blas, Complutense U., Madrid, Spain, September 17, 2013.
- Panel member for the PhD dissertation of the thesis “New models for extreme gravitational systems” by J. Gigante Valcárcel, Complutense U., Madrid, Spain, November 6, 2018.
- 2015-present: a) Organizer of the cycle of theoretical-physics seminars De Madrid al Cosmos, taking place every other week alternatively at the IEM-CSIC and the Complutense University in Madrid. b) Participation in the drafting of technical and activity reports of the group activities for periodic official evaluations.
- Local organizer of the XXV International Fall Workshop on Geometry and Physics}, CSIC, Madrid, Spain, August 29 – September 2, 2016.
- Member of the scientific committee and local organizer of the International Conference on Quantum Gravity, SUSTech, Shenzhen, China, March 26-28, 2018.
- 2017-2018: Associate Editor of Frontiers in Physics and Frontiers in Astronomy and Space Sciences. Editor of ISRN Mathematical Physics.
- 2018-present: Specialty Chief Editor of Frontiers in Physics and Frontiers in Astronomy and Space Sciences, Cosmology section.
- Reviewer of research proposals for: Netherlands Organization for Scientific Research (Nederlandse Organisatie voor Wetenschappelijk Onderzoek, NWO), The Netherlands; National Science Foundation (NSF), USA; National Agency of Evaluation and Perspective (Agencia Nacional de Evaluación y Prospectiva, ANEP), Spain.
- Participant of CPAN project (National Center for Particle, Astroparticle and Nuclear Physics).
- Refereeing activity (2004-present): referee (on a monthly basis) for several journals of physics published by AIP (J. Math. Phys.), APS (Phys. Rev. Lett., Phys. Rev. D), Elsevier (Phys. Lett. B, Annals Phys., Commun. Nonlin. Sci. Num. Sim., J. Franklin Inst., Chaos Solitons Fractals, Physica A, Phys. Dark Univ., J. Phys. Chem. Solids), IOP (JCAP, Class. Quantum Grav., J. Phys. A), NRC (Can. J. Phys.), Springer (JHEP, Gen. Rel. Grav., Eur. Phys. J. C, Eur. Phys. J. Plus, Found. Phys.), World Scientific (Int. J. Mod. Phys. D, Int. J. Geom. Methods Mod. Phys., Rept. Adv. Phys. Sci.), and others (SIGMA, Europhys. Lett., Filomat). Reviewer for the American Mathematical Society.
- Popularizing science: ♦ 1995–2001: Astronomy and astrophysics popularizing lectures in Venice and direction of the planetarium. ♦ 2013–2014: Acting in the Scientific Theatre group of CSIC, Madrid (director: José Vicente García Ramos). Show “Todo X la Ciencia: Cinco conversaciones ideadas, posibles e irreales y un monólogo que no ha sido”: Natural History Museum, Madrid, 15-17/11/2013; Teatro Trajano, Mérida, 05/12/2013; Centro Cívico Viñagrande, Alcorcón (Madrid), 18/01/2014; Residencia de Estudiantes, CSIC, Madrid, 30/04/2014.
- Computer literacy: Operative systems: Windows and Linux Ubuntu. Word processors: Openoffice Writer, Microsoft Word, LaTeX. Other programs: Microsoft Excel, Mathematica, CosmoMC. Basic C++, Fortran and Pascal programming.
- Italian: mother tongue.
- English: excellent spoken, reading and writing knowledge.
- Spanish: excellent spoken, reading and writing knowledge.
- French: very good spoken, excellent reading and good writing knowledge.
- Japanese: good spoken, basic reading and basic writing knowledge.
- German: basic spoken, reading and writing knowledge.
- Graduate stays (6 in total): ♦ Parma U., Italy, 09/2001 (2 weeks). ♦ ICTP, Trieste, Italy, 06/2002 (2 w.); 04/2003 (2 w.); 06/2003 (2 w.). ♦ Gran Sasso National Laboratory, Assergi, Italy, 07/2002 (2 w.). ♦ Turin U., Italy, 01/2003 (1 w.). ♦ NATO Advanced Study Institute, Cargése, France, 06/2004 (2 w.).
- Postdoctoral stays (47 in total): ♦ Perugia U., Italy, 03/2005 (1 w.). ♦ Waseda U., Tokyo, Japan, 05/2005 (1 w.). ♦ Tokyo Institute of Technology, Japan, 05/2005 (1 w.). ♦ Yukawa Institute for Theoretical Physics, Kyoto, Japan, 07/2005 (3 w.); 09/2010 (2 w.). ♦ ICG, Portsmouth, UK, 10/2005 (1 w.). ♦ DAMTP, Cambridge, UK, 04/2006 (1 w.). ♦ IUCAA, Pune, India, 09/2006 (3 w.). ♦ Center for Theoretical Physics, Delhi, India, 09/2006 (1 w.); 02/2007 (1 w.). ♦ Fermilab, Batavia, IL, 10/2006 (1 w.). ♦ CITA, Toronto, Canada, 10/2006 (1 w.). ♦ McGill University, Montréal, Canada, 10/2006 (1 w.). ♦ Penn State University, State College, PA, 10/2006 (1 w.). ♦ Columbia University, New York, NY, 11/2006 (1 w.). ♦ HRI, Allahabad, India, 02/2007 (1 w.). ♦ Moscow State University, Russia, 06/2007 (2 w.). ♦ Nottingham U., UK, 11/2007 (1 w.). ♦ Brescia U., Italy, 02/2008 (3 w.). ♦ Perimeter Institute, Waterloo, Canada, 04/2008 (1 w.); 11/2009 (1 w.). ♦ University of Wisconsin-Madison, WI, 08/2008 (1 w.). ♦ UC Berkeley, CA, 06/2009 (1 w.). ♦ Utrecht U., The Netherlands, 03/2010 (1 w.); 07/2011 (1 w.). ♦ Tokyo University of Science, Japan, 10/2010 (2 w.); 06/2013 (1 w.); 11/2013 (2 w.); 03/2015 (1 w.). ♦ Imperial College, London, UK, 11/2010 (1 w.). ♦ FIAS, Goethe U., Frankfurt am Main, Germany, 01/2011 (1 w.). ♦ Laboratoire APC, Université Paris 7, France, 03/2011 (1 w.). ♦ CSIC, Madrid, Spain, 05/2011 (1 w.). ♦ SISSA, Trieste, Italy, 09/2011 (1 w.). ♦ Catania U., Italia, 10/2011 (1 w.). ♦ National Laboratory of Scientific Computation (LNCC), Petrópolis, Brazil, 04/2012 (1 w.). ♦ Nordita, Stockholm, Sweden, 11/2012 (1 w.). ♦ University of Rome La Sapienza, Italy, 02/2013 (1 w.); 09/2013 (1 w.); 10/2016 (1 w.). ♦ Fudan U., Shanghai, China, 05/2013 (1 w.); 06/2017 (1 w.). ♦ University of Padua, Italy, 08-09/2014 (5 w.); 12/2014-02/2015 (9 w.). ♦ OIST, Okinawa, Japan, 02/2017 (1 w.). ♦ SUSTech, Shenzhen, China, 06/2017 (2 w.); 03/2018 (1 w.). ♦ Nagoya U., Japan, 08/2017 (1 w.).
- 2003-2014: contributor in the art magazine ARTEiN (over 200 articles in Italian and English: reviews, critics and interviews); professional journalistic activity. Curator of photographic exhibitions.
- 2008-2014: English translator and subtitler of the films Hristos Anesti! by Andrea Foschi (Greece, 2008), Tales of the Drina by Andrea Foschi and Marco Neri, Italy/Bosnia-Herzegovina (Suttvuess, RTRS – Radio Televizija Republike Srpske, Nova Škola, 2010) and Do you remember? by Andrea Foschi, Italy (Nova Škola, 2014).
- Theravada Buddhist meditation (Samatha and Vipassana).
- Travelling and photography.
- Martial arts (Musō Shinden-ryū iaidō, kendō).
- Professional recreational scuba diving (certified PADI Divemaster).
Present Position – Education – Academic Qualifications – Postdoctoral Fellowships and Professorships – Experimental Collaborations – Publications – Talks and Seminars – Thesis Supervising and Tutoring – Member of Committees and Commissions of Trust – Further Scientific and Popularizing Activities – Languages – Short Stays at International Centres – Other Professional Activities – Interests